DIY Upcycled Top Tutorial
I had this really cute top in my closet that was unfortunately too small… So I decided to experiment with it… and I must say I’m pretty proud of myself! =) It now fits like a charm!
Here are the step by step instructions…
1. Cut straight up the center of the front of your shirt.
2. Cut the sleeves out of the shirt making a slightly bigger sleeve hole.
3. Fold the edge of the arm hole under, pin in place, and sew.
4. Cut strips (at least one and half or double the length of your top) out of cute material! You want two thin strips and two fat strips, all of them equal in length.
5. Cut two more fat strips for the ties (these will become the bow at the top of the shirt)
6. Fold one of the ties in half, right sides together and sew down the length of each side. Leave the end open.
7. Turn the piece right side out and iron flat.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 on the remaining tie.
9. Pin the open end of each tie to the inside of the top of the shirt.
10. Stack one of the thin strips on top on one of the fat strips. Both pieces should be right side up. Repeat with the remaining strips.
11. Pleat and pin the 2 stacked strips to the under side of the opening in the center of the shirt. (One set per side.)
12. Sew the ruffles and ties into place.
13. Wear adorable new shirt and look fabulous!